Monday, July 7, 2008

I'm dieing a little bit inside

I'm mostly done packing.

I'm sitting in my room, on the floor. My left leg is cramping and all I can think of is how I only have three more days in this country which I have LOVED. I'm sorry, I'm getting all emotional and that's not really my style.

As usual, I feel like I'm leaving a country before I even got to know it. Funny thing is, I've seen more of Peru in these seven months than I have of countries I have lived in for 5+ years. I really like it here, I'd stay longer if I could. So, I have three days to say goodbye to it and I don't know what to do. Should I go back to all my old haunts (as in Larcomar and Jockey Plaza)? Or should I play tourist for these next three days? Both options seem unatractive and shallow.

Sigh.

I think maybe on Thursday evening I'll ask if we can go to San Ceferino. It's a fancy, expensive restaurant that's literally next door. You pay European prices but the food is ten times better than anything I've had at fancy restaurants in North America (as is always the case in Peru, bless them). I adore their Ostrich in Mustard Sauce and it would come as a nice circle end as this is the first place I ate at when I came (it was almost New Year). It will be a special dinner.

Closure, you know?

I know I have another two months in France ahead of me but France doesn't feel like a holiday. After all, it's really just "going home" in a way, even though I never really lived there. Not to mention, I will be staying with my aunt for half of that time. I foresee many evangelising sessions ahead (I'm determinedly Pagan, sorry aunty).

My sister came into my room earlier and exclaimed "Oh my God! This room's gonna be so empty!" I thought it was so unconsciously sweet because, really, I don't have that many things of mine in here so it won't be empty in a literal sort of way.

Well, I'll leave you and go be all introspective.

No comments: