Sunday, November 16, 2008

Paper, it is clearly evil

I'm writing to you as a way to procrastinate on the incredibly annoying production cost estimate exercise I woke up early to do. It is evil if only for that. I believe in sleeping until noon at least, of course, I haven't actually been able to do that since the beginning of the semester. Have you ever gone to a real crazy Halloween party, gotten completely pissed and then waking up at 8 am anyway?

It's not human.

Basically, I'm coming up with an estimate of how much it would cost to produce a particular book in a certain number of copies. I'm doing 8000, 12500 and 16000. It's all straightforward enough except when it comes to paper.

I have to calculate how much paper to buy and how much it will cost me except the prices on the sheet we've been given are per 1000 copies of a 320 page book. My book is 688 pages. Too many numbers for me to juggle!
Have I mentioned I failed every class in High School that involved numbers? (actually, there was this one year where I failed everything except P.E. That was a straaaange year...)

Speaking of paper, we had a pretty interesting lecture last week on paper and ecology. I'll write about it maybe later today. It's a little on the other side of the "paper : bad or okay" argument.

No comments: