Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dissertation or Major Project Subject

*Sigh*

The time is coming soon when I have to tell the lecturers what the subject of my dissertation or major project will be. I think I want to work on an environment and publishing subject but I need to narrow it down to something. I can't think of any one particular subject I want to concentrate on.

I'm also interested in Open access, YA, fanfiction, podcasts and blogs. If I could just find a subject that joins at least a couple of these interests, it would be great. I wish I had something I was really into then at least, no matter how bad an idea, I'd know what I want to do. There's a girl in the course who wants to do hers on Twilight, which I think is stupid (not the books, as a topic for postgrad work in publishing) but at least she knows what she wants.

I'm starting to get worried. There really isn't that much time to pick a subject for work that will take months to do and will determine whether I get my M.A. or not.

4 comments:

Matthew said...

It's always difficult to choose. I think I changed my topic about a dozen times before I had my final thesis for the dissertation.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chantal.

I have to disagree about Twilight, both because I do think the books are stupid and because they're so stupid it would be rather interesting to analyze how, from the editorial point of view, such a stupid series can have such a wide success. As I always say, the Twilight series is a very well-marketed garbage. Horrible work from the author, great work from the marketing people at Little Brown :P Definitely great thesis material, provided one have enough critical ability when approaching popular literature.

I'll give you the url of an article I'm writing on that, once I'm finished. That's my two cents ;)

Chantal said...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear :) I agree the books aren't good. They're entertaining but they are garbage. I consider them a guilty pleasure when my brain doesn't want to be challenged.

What I didn't specify is that this girl from my course ADORES them and thinks they're the greatest thing ever so you can guess that her dissertation is not going to be on how the marketing department makes the difference between a bestseller and a flop (which it does - marketing is pretty much what rules the book biz now).

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a relief! :)

But pitty there is a GRADUATE publishing student who adores that hyper-naïve, self-steem-destructive teenager stuff, cause that clearly means she hasn't read much :(

Is that a editor wannabe??? (sigh)