Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Three Marketeers

I like the word "marketeer", sounds exciting. Makes marketing sounds like it might be an adventure. I guess it is for the people who've chosen to make it their career. It seems interesting, don't get me wrong, but sooooo hard! How do they juggle so many things at once?

I'm about to find out, I suppose as I just got offered a work experience placement at a local small publisher which is going to be mostly marketing with some editorial. It'll be the first time in years that I do 9-5 and the first time at all that said hours are not school related. Oh yeah, I went to the interview yesterday, I was so nervous and unprepared but my secret superpower is looking more confident the less confident I feel. It's actually very useful as far as lame superpowers go.

Hopefully, I will be able to do the job. I didn't understand exactly what they were talking about when they were explaining the job. I guess I'll find out next monday (ugh, will have to wake up extra early to catch the bus).

Work experience is a great thing. Especially when you have never had any kind of job before, like me. The professors say that even without any, just going through the Brookes M.A. in Publishing will get us a job. "You will all get a job," she said. It's very encouraging and the stats say 96% of us get a job. I don't know what's up with the last 4%, did they die or something? With the epidemic of fresher's flu that's going on, I wouldn't be that surprised.

I have to go to have breakfast - er, change first, my jammies do not entirely cover all of that should be - and then class but I'll write more about marketing this afternoon unless the birthday/block party starts earlier than I expect. Yeah, studying publishing is so hard. There's all these parties to attend...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! My kids are now older where I have more free time during the day, and I keep toying the idea of going back to work outside the home. Your new job sounds great. Have fun!

Rachel Burton said...

Hey - wandered over from AW. Good luck with your new job! Sounds fun!

hana said...

Congrats!

Maybe the other 4% published a book and don't need a job? :D

[visiting you from the AW forum, too]

Chantal said...

Hahah :D Hey, one more of my homies from Absolute Write.

Well, I suppose they might have gone freelance...

Matthew said...

Sounds like good experience. I wouldn't mind finding one of those job things when I move back to the states. Otherwise I'll be stuck teaching at universities in China forever.