Monday, March 9, 2009

Not all interviews are equal

Here's an account of an interview from just this year by Brianna. Clearly the methods have changed somewhat as it doesn't sounds like anything my current coursemates have told me their interviews were like (or maybe it's because it's early in the year and the interviewers aren't tired of the same ol' answers yet ;) Who knows?). The lesson to draw from this, IMO, is that no one can tell you exactly what the interview will be like.

In spite of her experience with the interview, Brianna did get accepted at OBU by the way :)

-----

The interview day began kind of poorly for me as I confused the time
change difference and found the interview was scheduled 2 hours before
I had planned. As I arrived to my regular 8 to 5 job, I received a
phone call from my interviewer and promptly had to reschedule, while
attempting to hide the purpose of the phone call from my boss and
coworkers who don't know I am considering graduate school. Luckily, my
interviewer had some extra free time later that day and I managed to
leave work for that purpose. Still, it ruined my built-up idea of the
interview going smoothly and I felt more nervous when the actual time
came. The lesson here is that if you are an international student, pay
close attention to the time difference!

I already felt stupid and apologized immediately when OBU called. I
had prepared for a week to answer questions based on my strengths,
weaknesses, interests in the school and general publishing questions.
I expected to be asked about what jobs I would see myself doing in the
industry and I also expected a lot of questions about my background.
What I found, though, was that the background meant little except for
clarification purposes.

I was asked what certain phrases meant regarding my honors courses and
my grade point average (GPA) - which I assume they don't use in the
UK? The previous week had been spent skimming stories on Publisher's
Weekly and The Bookseller, but the questions I received were much more
pointed. I had no questions about strengths or weaknesses, what I
thought publishing was, why I liked OBU, etc. My questions were very
focused on specific events and lawsuits within the publishing
industry. I don't want to give away details, but the stories I was
asked about have been in the news for years and I had never heard of
them. I felt completely lost and utterly stupid as I fumbled for
opinions. The important thing is that I gave opinions. Interviewers
will not mind if you have a differing view. They want to see that you
can speak clearly and form your own ideas. I even told the interviewer
that I had never heard the news story in question and she gave me some
key points to research.

Overall, it was a stressful interview. I did not feel comfortable, but
I felt like I did the best I could with the knowledge I had. I would
just suggest that anyone who is considering grad school in a specific
subject should know, in detail, the most pressing current events. I
thought I did, but should have dug deeper. Everyone should write a
thank you letter after the interview and send it immediately. I
usually have no problem with interviews and do not get stressed
easily, but for some reason I did. Not every interview is going to be
perfect, so you shouldn't expect it to be. Just do the best you can
and make sure you have a genuine interest in the topics. Relax.:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Chantal, could you tell this person I'd love to contact her?

I can totally relate to what she's going to! I think I'll have to schedule the interview at like 5 AM, I don't want my boss or colleagues ot find out what I am up to :P

Anonymous said...

The work thing is the worst. It's difficult to not tell anyone and the economy is so bad right now (everywhere), but I'm in the US. My job is kind of paying my way to OBU - which I decided to accept the offer. Yay! Are you applying for Publishing?

Chantal said...

So you're coming to OBU then Brianna? Yay! I'm sure you're really going to love it here.

Ah the work thing! I wish I could say I know how that feels but I've never had a real, paying job. But I can say why you'd be hesitant to tell your coworkers what with the state of the economy over there. Can't risk it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brianna!

Yes I am applying for Publishing at Brookes! I have a job right now, and I really need to keep it until at least July. Last year they told us that if numbers weren't better by march-april they would have to let two people go (we are a team of eight). So... I don't want to give them a reason... :P

CBriannaCorbett said...

I am coming - very excited! I'm hoping to keep mine until end of August, so if I slip up now, I'll be at a definite financial loss. Good luck with keeping the job and acing the interview! The more I read about Brookes and the city of Oxford, the more anxious I become!

Anju said...

Julie, I'm sure you will get through! Goo luck.. I'm so glad I'm in touch with you :)
And Brianna, congrats! I am taking up the publishing course at Kingston University :)